Ideal Age To Start Using Ageing Products
We often get asked, what is the right time to start using anti-aging products? In this journal entry, I have briefly discussed some of the key factors that accelerate aging and how you can determine the ideal age for your unique skin to start using aging products. But before that, let me state it upfront, I don't believe in anti-aging (I am not against aging), I believe in better aging. Aging is inevitable and beautiful, but none of us would like our skin to appear wrinkled pre-maturely.
We have all heard of the adage, prevention is better than cure. It couldn't be more accurate in the case of skin aging - it takes much longer to reverse skin-aging than prevent it. Here is my personal rule of thumb to determine when to start using anti-aging products.
Factors determining ideal age for using better-aging products:
Somewhere in the mid to late 20s, the rate at which new skin cells are produced starts to slow down due to biological aging, even as the rate at which cells die remains the same. And by the time you are in your early 30s, the first noticeable sign of aging starts to appear in the form of crow feet or expression lines paired with the loss of glow.
As a thumb rule (not an exact science), I believe 30 is the ideal age to start using better-aging products. Now let's see how other factors influence the right time to start using better-aging products.
2. Skin type
Dry skin is highly susceptible to dehydration (lack of water), which then accelerates skin aging. Imagine a fresh grape and a dried grape (raisin), and you will understand how dehydration causes aging. Thus, if you have dry/sensitive skin, subtract 5 years; for oily skin, add 5 years and for normal/combination skin, add zero. For example, Avanti, 28 years old and has oily skin, then in her case, recommended age to start better-aging products will be 30 + 5 = 35.
3. Past & current skincare routine:
Even though the skin is the largest organ in our body, it doesn't get all the nutrients, minerals, and water it needs especially the epidermis (the topmost layer of the skin). Thus it is essential to use topical skincare products (DIY or ready to use) to keep your skin healthy and nourished. Suppose you have not been regularly following at least a basic regime of cleansing + moisturizing + sunscreen + (weekly) exfoliation. In that case, subtract 5 years.
Let’s go back to our example. Avanti has not been able to take care of her skin for the last several years, and thus the ideal age shifts to 35 - 5 = 30.
4. Environmental Exposure & Lifestyle
- Regular sun exposure accelerates the breakdown of collagen and causes premature aging. Hence it is very important to protect your skin from excess sun exposure
- If you live in cities (urban smog is today a fact of life in all major Indian cities), your skin is exposed to free radicals, which again break collagen in the skin and cause premature aging
- Lack of enough sleep on a regular basis also makes skin dull and dehydrated, and all these precursors ultimately cause premature aging. Goes without saying that a healthy sleep routine plays an important role in determining how soon or late your skin starts to show signs of aging
- Smoking (including regular exposure to second-hand smoke): Some of the toxins in cigarette smoke reduce the flow of oxygen to the skin, which can again accelerate aging
If you are exposed to any of these factors, then subtract 1 year for each factor. For example, Avanti lives in a big city and is often sleep-deprived. Thus, in her case, the ideal age shifts to 30 - 1 - 1 = 28. Now since she is already 28, she should start using better-aging products right away.
Aminu has better-aging products for all skin types. In case, you need assistance in determining the right skincare regime for you, please reach out to them on chat, phone, or drop an email. Our team of skin experts will be more than happy to help you.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this journal are those of the authors and are for information purposes only and not medical advice. Further, they do not reflect the opinions or views of Aminu Wellness Pvt Ltd or any of its directors. Any content provided by the author(s) are of their opinion and are not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, individual, or anyone, or anything.